Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Guams Animals Deserve Better

"When we acknowledge that all of life is sacred and that each act is an act of choice and therefore sacred, then life is a sacred dance lived consciously each moment. When we live at this level, we participate in the creation of a better world." ~Scout Cloud Lee

The situation with abandoned and neglected animals on our island has never been more dire. In the past 6 years the number of pets brought to our struggling shelter has practically doubled. The agonizing toll on the lives of Guams precious pets is matched only by the tragic human face of the tragedy. Here are some sobering numbers detailing what GAIN volunteers have been forced to cope with.

In 2003 2,991 animals were brought to our shelter. Of those a mere 553 were adopted the rest...that is 2,438 had to be euthanized.

In 2008 5,105 animals were brought to our shelter. 834 were adopted and the other 4,271 had to be put down.

Guam is not alone. The Humane Society on the mainland has its own set of shocking and devastating statistics when it comes to unwanted animals.

•Of the 1,000 shelters that replied to the National Council's survey, 4.3 million animals were handled.

•In 1997, roughly 64 percent of the total number of animals that entered shelters were euthanized -- approximately 2.7 million animals in just these 1,000 shelters. These animals may have been euthanized due to overcrowding, but may also have been sick, aggressive, injured or suffering from something else.

•56 percent of dogs and 71 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are euthanized. More cats are euthanized than dogs because they are more likely to enter a shelter without any owner identification.

•Only 15 percent of dogs and 2 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are reunited with their owners.

•25 percent of dogs and 24 percent of cats that enter animal shelters are adopted.


Come on Guam you CAN do better than THIS! Nothing will ever change until every resident of our beautiful island makes a change. The first thing we MUST CHANGE is the apathy. HELP us by making sure your pets are spayed and neutered. HELP us by making a modest donation to our shelter so that we can try to find even more homes for the animals we do get. We need your help Guam.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone out there, help me Thank Dr UGO! My name is MRS LINDA from Netherlands. I am here to give testimony on how I got my ex husband back, my husband left me for no reason 6 Months. He moved in with another woman, I felt like killing myself, my life became very bitter and sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me about a great spell caster that is very good and she said that he told her all about her life history and the problem she is facing, I didn't believe it because I've worked with so many of them and it didn't work. She begged me further so I decided to try this great spell caster called Great Dr UGO. I still didn't believe, but inside me I wanted to give a try and as God will have it, I used the spell solution he gave me and the next day I received a call from my darling husband Romero last month. He apologized and came back to me. I'm very happy now with my family it worked for me and I believe it will work for you too just give him a try and follow up this is a clear truth from a testifier. Thank you Dr UGO once again, if you want to reach him via email:(dr.ugo.temple@gmail.com) 

    ReplyDelete